Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What Happens in your Colon STAYS in your Colon...

That's why you have to do something about it!

There are not many people who openly talk about their "poop habits"... although I have heard that Dr. Oz talks about them all the time (I've never seen the show.) The truth of the matter is we SHOULD be talking about and thinking about it more often if being healthy and disease free is what we hope for our futures. I am not here to gross you out with gory details of what your "dirty business" should look like, smell like or if it should sink or float... what I am here to share is how often you should be going and if you are not, what can help. Let's just say I have been there.

After my gallbladder surgery in Sept. of 2011, my digestive system drastically changed and because of that I have since changed my lifestyle... although at first it seemed a negative thing not being able to have some of my favorite foods, I am now quite happy that it led me to becoming more knowledgeable about nutrition, how we digest things and how we eliminate what our bodies don't use; and I have found new favorite foods. I talk about this gallbladder experience in a previous blog post, so if you want the whole scoop find the blog posts titled "How I became Gluten and Dairy Free parts 1 & 2" in my archives.)

I was fully aware that going regularly was the goal; and remember when I used to eliminate 3-4 times a day and people thought I was abnormal because of that. I have now learned that if you are not eliminating for every meal you eat, you are clinically constipated; turns out I WAS normal after all; it was everyone else who was abnormal. Are you eating three meals a day? Then you should be eliminating three times a day. Pretty crazy you think? Well... it's a fact. If you compound that mathematical equation  in your head for a minute chances are you will realize that you are pretty backed up. I am basing that assumption on conversations I have had with my clients and finding out that the average person sitting in my chair to get their hair done goes once a day if they are having a good week. I was baffled!!

So... I did some research; of course, because that is what I do when I want to learn. (Google is my "school" of choice.) What I found did not surprise me... but it validated what I have preached for years. CHEMICALS in our products and food are causing most of our diseases and illness's. We cannot digest this stuff! Our bodies cannot process chemicals, so they slow us down, make us sick, cause diseases that cannot be cured, and sludge up our systems because they wreck havoc on our colon. All disease starts in the colon... fact#1. All disease can be prevented with a healthy working colon... fact #2. The question lies in what you can do if proper "movement" is not happening. Whether it's too much or too little... either way it's a problem.

The answer is SEVERAL things can be done! The obvious of course is a healthier diet/lifestyle. I choose to be gluten and dairy free; utilize the ability to go organic where it matters, and steer clear of as many chemical ingredients as possible by staying away from artificial colors, flavors, preservatives toxic perfumes and detergents in all of my food and personal care. In my profession as a stylist/makeup artist it's especially hard... but the difference in cost is well worth my own health as well as the health of my children and my clients. Some people choose to go vegetarian, vegan and even practice raw food lifestyles. I say whatever works for you... I chose what worked for me.

Fiber is very important when it comes to colon health, the interesting thing is that there are certain types of fiber that are wrong for certain issues. For example... I used to take psyllium fiber (found in most over the counter products) once I began having issues with constipation only to find out that it is a binding fiber, hence defeating my purpose! Flax fiber helps you GO psyllium fiber helps you STOP; if you have IBS this should be a helpful tip. Other than your diet... and exercise (housework and chasing around your crazy children counts ladies and gents), you can make eliminating easier by getting into the right "position" to do your business. Who would have thought that toilets do not put us in the the right position? Clearly the engineers in charge of designing the lovely "thrones" did not do their homework. Click here Squatty Potty to get the scoop on this, you will be amazed, and perhaps upset at whoever manufactured your toilet.

Colon treatments such as colon hydrotherapy are also a great way to start fresh and maintain colon health. Many traditional doctors do not endorse this, but if you do your homework and find someone who knows their "SH**, then you are doing your body good. I found a great one in Tampa Bay, http://www.renewlifewellness.com/about-us.html she was truly a God send and she is also the one that taught me about the "position" the toilet puts us in. There is no room for modesty with this treatment,  however if you have the right therapist, you feel at ease. The way I look at it, it's no different than stripping down for your yearly exam, or having your boob squashed by a machine, or "coughing " while being cupped. I promise there is no pain involved!

Many things can be done to promote a healthy colon... thus improving your overall health; but the first step is knowing that you have to do something different to get better results. Be proactive to stay healthy, fit, and looking young. Our bodies are only here once... it's up to us to do them good, so take control! If you are wondering how in the world I can talk about this and splatter it on the internet... the answer is this; I am a hair stylist... I hear it all, nothing really phases me anymore and I figure if I can share this with people so that they can live a better life then I will talk about pooping anytime! :)


A few of my favorite supplemental products that promote a healthy colon can be found here,  www.beautynerdwellnessgeek.myarbonne.com  
You will find these under the Health and Wellness Category under Daily Essentials.   
*My favorites are*
  Herbal Colon Cleanse 
Antioxidant and Immunity Booster
Omega 3 Plus
Digestion Plus

Until next week... stay healthy!
Shelley Giard




No comments:

Post a Comment