Monday, August 20, 2012

Better Than "Taco Hell" Taco Recipe and a few things I use in my kitchen

Many of my friends and readers have asked me what brands of foods I am using in my kitchen as well as what type of makeup, skincare, energy and vitamin supplements, protein shakes and the list goes on. I decided to share these things via my blog to make it easier on me because sending several emails, Facebook messages and making numerous phone calls would consume time that I simply do not have lately. Over the next few weeks, I will share numerous things on the brands that I use, so if this interests you then be sure to come back each week on Monday. Which by the way... I apologize for accidentally skipping last Monday, I honestly thought I posted my blog but when I logged in tonight I realized I was mistaken. It was a crazy week so again... my apologies.

If you have been reading, you will know that although I am not vegan or vegetarian, I have been gluten and dairy free since March of this year and have to steer away from soy due to the thyroid medication I take and my knowledge of how soy mimics estrogen inside the body. It was certainly a challenge at first but now, I have gotten more acclimated to my new lifestyle. I am learning to eat all over again, but if you know how to cook & put flavors together and willing to do a little research you can come up with some great recipes. I have not gone out and purchased a cook book, I have not even really looked up gluten free recipes, I simply learned what has gluten and dairy and what doesn't and found alternatives to things that I love to cook with. Simple in some ways challenging in others but worth every moment of frustration in the end to feel better than I ever have.

Tonight, I will share a few of the things I use in my kitchen. I tried several brands before coming up with my favorites and I encourage you to do the same for your taste. I am simply sharing mine to give you tracks to run on and steer you in the right direction. Since grocery and food stores vary depending on the area, I will tell you where I get mine however you may not find these brands at your local stores. Typically going online and searching the brands will help you find stuff locally. The good news is that you can purchase many of your non perishables online straight from the company typically for a fraction of the cost you would pay in the stores, so if you can't find them, perhaps planning things out and ordering online will be the best thing for you.

Okay so here it goes:

Gluten free flour: Bob's Redmill Flour is my favorite. They have several varieties for all purpose cooking, as well as specialty flours for baking, bread making and pizza dough. The only thing you need to take note of is that some flours require the use of Xanthan Gum in the recipe. You can typically find it close to these flours on the shelf. I use this flour for everything from fried chicken to pancakes. I find mine at the local Target and Sweetbay grocery stores. The flours are made from different varieties of beans, brown rice and quinoa most often. I will promise you that the taste however is not weird or strange at all. (I am very funny about taste)


Gluten free/Dairy free butter:  My choice is Earth Balance buttery spread. It is a solid  plant derived spread made with a natural oil blend of palm fruit, canola, soybean, flax and olive. It contains pea protein and sunflower lecithin. It is gluten free, dairy free, lactose free and is 100% vegan. It contains expeller pressed oils and has no GMO (genetically modified organisms) I use it to cook with as well as putting it on my gluten free raisin toast for breakfast, It tastes just like butter to me, great taste, way healthier and when I stopped using butter for everyone in the house nobody noticed the difference at all!




Dairy free milk: This was a simple switch for me since I don't drink milk, but for all my cooking and baking that calls for milk, it's Silk pure unsweetened almond milk for me and the Silk vanilla almond milk for my one cup of coffee in the morning. Yummy taste and much healthier for you.



Gluten Free Cereal: Rice Chex any variety are gluten and dairy free, but my favorite of all is Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola ( I can't keep my three year old son out of it!) This makes awesome granola bars if you or your kids like them. The cereal has 5grams of fiber 6 grams of protein and 31grams of whole grain per 3/4 cup. Because it is made with brown rice, pumpkin and flax seeds, rolled oats and a dash of soy oil it fills you up and keeps your digestive system pumping.




Okay so that's a quick start. Next week I will share my favorite brands of snacks, as well as nutritional supplements and protein shakes for all of my work out, energy loving, carb consumers. At 38, my 128 lb. self is living proof that not all carbohydrates go to your hips, thighs, and guts. Until then have a great and healthy week!

Gluten free recipe for tonight:

Do you love tacos as much as me???? Never give them up with this concoction!

Better Than "Taco Hell" Tacos


Stand and Stuff ® Corn tortilla hard taco shells
1 lb. ground chicken
1 can black beans drained and rinsed well to remove salt
1 cup onion finely chopped
2tbs. safflower oil
1 can Ro*tel® tomatoes and diced green chili's drained and rinsed well to remove salt
3/4 cup water
1 tbs. Taco seasoning ( I make my own and store it ... recipe below)
1 tablespoon chili powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Heat a skillet to medium/high heat. Add safflower oil and chopped onion to pan. Saute onion until clear and fragrant. Add ground chicken and Ro*tel  tomatoes; cook thoroughly. (about 15 minutes) Add black beans, water and taco seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally.

Brown taco shells in oven according to directions on package while meat mixture is simmering. Serve with your favorite taco toppings and never enjoy a worry free healthy taco night!

Shelley Giard 
©All rights reserved
















No comments:

Post a Comment